Monday 27 October 2014

On a New Week

So, the updates dried up late last week. I made myself quite sick late last week with how late I had been working, and after a weekend of sleep and rest, I am ready to get back to the weekly grind.

Which means that there needs to be an update on the rest of last week.

At this point all but one group has finished their chassis and have successfully moved on to trying to make their motors function with a transistor. One interesting note is that a number of groups skipped the motor assignment completely (for now) and went right on to figuring out how their line sensors work. In the future, I may rename those two assignments 2a and 2b and let the students figure ont which order they want to build them in.

Calgary...snow...every month of the year...
from en.wikipedia.org
One of the difficulties in making any electronic project work, is getting parts that have the correct specifications. My fight with that was in regards to transistors. The current set I have for the kits are not responsive enough to the low amperage that I'm running through them. When dealing with this problem (in Calgary at least), I've found that Solarbotics is a hugely helpful company. They happily let me test the light-sensor circuit that I was planning to use with a couple of transistors in order to find the one that worked.

This is a short week and I full intend on posting another update before parent-teacher interviews on Thursday.

Enjoy the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment